Thursday, January 28, 2010

May I Have Your Attention, Please.

Stop talking, stop living in your endless, swirling thoughts and listen for a change. It's hard to do.

Let's pop ourselves into the Wayback Machine. Not to worry, we're not going to a time where there was no indoor plumbing or Crackberrys....so you'll be fine. We're only going back about 5-7 years. Your only concern should be your painfully dated vernacular with teenage kids (or, specifically, YOUR teenage kids)which, even 5 years ago, was a complete mess.

I've got a business idea..ready? Movie Rentals. What's that you say?...terrible play? WAY, WAY too saturated here in the glorious year of 2004. (Wonder how the Red Sox will do this year? Maybe 2004 is FINALLY the year. Naaaaah. Pipedream.)

But I'm not done...as a delivery mechanism, I am primarily going to use the USPS. Nope, not the Internet...the freakin' mailman! What's that? You want me to pee in a cup it's such a bad idea?

When I heard of Netflix five or so years ago, I thought it might be the worst idea I had ever heard of. For all of the above reasons and about ten more. And I fancy myself as someone with fairly decent insight and instinct when it comes to such things.

We're heading back to 2010, Marty McFly...strap yourself in.

I am as addicted to Netflix as you are to your Crackberry....and I'm just one of their tens of millions of devoted customers. I get mega-value for my entertainment dollar. More than half of what I watch are the numerous high-quality television programs produced by HBO and delivered to me, multiple episodes at a time. I watch them in rapid-fire succession at a time that is convenient for me.

Somebody listened back then, they listened to an idea that I'm sure didn't sound so hot 90 seconds into it. I'm glad it wasn't me they were pitching.

No comments: